While looking for some home treatments for your foot-related problems, you may have bumped into the term ‘podiatrist’ for the first time. And now, if you are curious to find out all about them and how they can be of great help to you, read on. In medical terms, podiatrists are health experts of the feet. They are, basically, surgeons and can deal with all sorts of problems related to ankles, feet, fingers or even nails. They also deal with the external and internal problems, which can be related to bone, tissues, muscles, cartilages, tendons, veins, nerves, nails or skin.
The Job of a Podiatrist: The job of a podiatrist is to take care of your feet. A podiatrist looks into infections, injuries, deformities, pain and other problems that can be prevented or diagnosed and treated accordingly. Abnormal foot condition can be treated or alleviated by a podiatric expert.
Feet Problems: There are several kinds of problems associated with feet. Podiatrists hear the symptoms and feet-related issues of the patients and then treat them accordingly. Some of the problems include:
- Toenail-related issues like fungal attack on nails, ingrown nails, nail thinning or thickening, peeling off etc.
- Thickened skin, calluses and corns
- Athlete’s foot
- Cracked and dry feet skin
- Bad odor from feet
- Balance problems due to a structural abnormality
- Flat feet
- Athletic injuries
- Pain in heels
- Problems due to feet aging
- Blisters on feet skin
When Should You Consult A Podiatrist?
There are several occasions when you would like to see a podiatrist. Some of the common ones are:
- When you suffer itchiness on your feet, in and around the toe nails and in between your fingers or elsewhere.
- Split toe nails, ingrown nails or other problems with toe nails.
- If it pains while walking or if putting pressure on your feet makes you uncomfortable.
- When find it difficult to stand up for a few minutes or hours of rest or sleeping.
- If you have a constant pain in the heels or on the arch of your feet.
- If you need advice on what shoes to wear as per your foot type or on the basis of your current problems.
- If you have birth defects or structural abnormalities where your feet interfere with your walking or standing patterns.
- If you have injuries from any accident or sports.
- When you have a sprain or a sudden stress on your feet makes your uncomfortable.
- Blisters or skin problems in the feet.
- Foot Infections.
These are some of the common conditions where people can get complete help and solutions to their problems by visiting a podiatrist. The health experts are also trained to perform local and in-depth feet surgeries if required.
Find A Podiatrist Near You
If you have always been visiting a medicine specialist or an orthopedic till now, then it’s time to visit a podiatrist to cure or treat your feet or ankle problems. A podiatrist can help you receive an in-depth treatment. They are trained health experts who can solve all human feet related issues ranging from muscles to nerves to bones and skin.
Finding a podiatrist around you is easy with a simple Internet search. You can find many certified experts in a single click. It is not necessary that you get an expert only at personal clinics. In fact, they are also available in many hospitals working as a team with other specialized doctors.